One of my girl crushes, ExMi did a blog post on this a while ago, and I have been meaning to do one for ages, but every time I start one, my husband does something so extremely asshole’ish that all fond thoughts dissipate immediately.
However, he is out the house for an hour or so, so I guess the timing is about as perfect as it could be. Absence makes the heart grow fonder etc.
Those who read this blog, and don’t know Marko and I personally, might assume from my VERY occasional little moans about my husband that Marko and I aren’t made for each other, but they would be very wrong. I am not sure I could ever find someone more perfect for me. He is my lid (i.e. lid as in ‘every pot has its lid’ – is that a local expression?), my very best friend, my partner, my lover, the father of my children and my darling husband.
This doesn’t mean he doesn’t drive me to drink, he does! He is a stubborn, strict, sulky pain in the arse, but he is MY stubborn, strict, sulky pain the arse and I do love him very much.
So, here are 10 things I love about my husband:
- He’s got my back. Always. This is hugely important to me. I know that Marko is 100% behind me, always. He is always there for me, and always takes my side. He is my true partner, in every sense of the word
- I trust him completely. Look, I know one should never say never, but for all the important things in life, I trust him completely. I know he always has my best interests at heart.
- He’s funny. Marko might come across quite serious at first, but he has an impish sense of humour – there is NOTHING Marko likes more than to pull a prank on someone. He is very funny. (Just FYI – he has to work very, very hard to pull a prank on me, I know his tricks by now)
- He is clever. More important than looks, power, money etc, ‘clever’ has always been my ‘thing’. I love clever and Marko is very clever. At all sorts of things.
- He is hot. Being caught up in the daily grind of work/kids/sleep etc, this is something I don’t notice often enough, but the man is damn hot. If I had to describe my ideal physical characteristics in a man, Marko would be it.
- He loves my parents. This is HUGE for me – I could never be with someone who didn’t love and respect my parents. They mean the world to me and it would be an absolute deal breaker if it was any different.
- We are remarkably similar in many respects – we have the same attitude towards money, family, punctuality etc etc
- Yet we are different enough to make life interesting. We compliment each other, he is strong where I am not, and visa versa. I think life would be very boring if we were pure carbon copies of each other. Does make for some ‘interesting’ times though.
- He works bloody hard. I don’t think I could be with a slacker. I complain, often, about how hard Marko works and his Calvinist work ethic, but I also admire how much he puts in. Any employer would be damn lucky to have Marko on his team. Having said that, I could never, ever work with him, or for him. He is WAY too strict! Or as we say in Afrikaans, ‘paraat’.
- He is the father of my children. This is something that is so big, it blows my mind. It sometimes makes me mad (how dare HE discipline MY children), but most of the time, it makes me feel humbled that he is my partner in the very thing that is central to my whole world, my kids.
I could actually go on and on. He really is perfect for me. Make no mistake, he is a HUGE pain, an industrial enema at times, but he is perfect for me. Sister Mel often says she has no idea how the two most anal, odd people in the world managed to find each other. And it is quite weird actually, considering we are from such different backgrounds and he is a bit younger than me. But we were obviously meant to be together.
(BTW, we met in a bar, how appropriate. Although he stopped drinking about 3 weeks after we met (false advertising!!) and I…well, I haven’t really stopped since then.)
Now I better end this off because he comes back and does something so unbelievably irritating that I am forced to kill him and change this list into an obituary.
(PS I do know and realize that I am not the easiest person to live with, as much shit as he gives me, I probably give him too. Which might actually qualify as point 11 on this list)